I hope that doesn’t offend you, but it is a temptation that is out there and we need to talk about. Last weekend i got to be laeader at a HS guys retreat. As i talked with guys through the weekend thsi topic was one that continiously came up. So lets talk about it and hopefully there will be something that is encouraging and helpful to you. Did you know that in the US alone pornography generates $10 Billion? Ya with a “B”! Also, did you know that the average age for a child to see pornography for the first time is 11? Many parents and students are always asking "what can I do to help with this temptation?" There is a long list of things but here are my top 5 things to consider and pray about.
- Do not be on a computer in an area where you are alone. You should always be on computer in a public place or in a family room where others are. By the way, being on a computer in the family room when no one is home is still being on a computer when you are alone. In the age of laptops this is becoming more and more difficult. So make boundaries that are necessary to not allow yourself to be on your laptop alone.
Oh and by the way, be cautious of data plans and cell phones!!! There are too many phones that can access full web
images and video. Because of this you need to treat phones as much as possible like a computer.
- There are some great software products out there and I have found one to be very effective. The reason I recommend this over other software products is because there is an accountability feature. Most software has some kind of blocking system but no accountability. This software will allow you to pick accountability partners that will receive email reports on sites that you have visited. You can take a look at this software at http://x3watch.com/
- PRAY! Parents pray that your kids would get caught. Then pray for wisdom in how to minister and shepherd your child through that time and temptation. Students pray that you would learn to love God and that his plan for your sexuality would trump your lustful desires. I know that sounds so simple but it really is the bottom line for how we overcome any temptation. Oh and Mom and Dad you can pray that for them and yourselves also.
- Parents, pornography is not just a male issue. I recently saw a survey where 13% of the women surveyed admitted to looking at pornography at work. So not only is it not just a male issue but it is also not just a teen issue. This is a sin issue that has no age or gender boundaries. Don’t make this a teen male issue only!
- Lastly, I would remind all of us to be careful of what we define as pornography. For instance, Sports illustrated swimsuit editions are not considered pornography. Really? Ya Really! But I would argue that it has the same intention as “pornography”! This is what I believe is the most difficult part of this battle. There are so many commercials, billboards, TV shows, movies, and magazines that are not rated XXX yet the result of seeing or watching is much the same. For your life and those around you, try to lead a life that desires there to not even be a hint of sexual immorality among you, according to Ephesians 5:3!
Sat, January 23, 2010
by Daryl filed under